Jun 12, 2006

Do I Have What It Takes to Be a Champion???

I got an amazing esteem boost today. The 5-time U.S. National Memory Champion and World Grand Master Scott Hagwood emailed me and re-asked me via email (he asked me in person in May) to participate in the World Memory Championships this year. They are in mid-August in London England.

He even said if I chose to go, he'd help me prepare. I would be the one and only representative for Canada. It sounds so daunting. Technically, I'd be competing against him but I'm not looking to win or place, just show as they say in racing.

I'll explain more about the championships in future posts I promise.

I'm in the midst of reading his book and trying to get my mental exercises going. First step he suggests is journalizing every day. So, here is Day 1. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, I attended my first Career Management course that I was given as part of my package upon leaving my former employer. I received some rather interesting information about some potential job areas based on my skills, interests and styles.

Apparently, I'm in the 99th percentile for Scientific work including diagnostics, lab work, medical and pharmacology. Yes, this does include "engineering (technical especially)". I promised myself I would look outside the engineering environment. Already have enough of those in the house that is at the top already.

I go back tomorrow to do something called a career map. For those of you that have heard of the Myers-Briggs test, my counsellor says I'm an ENTP (Extrovert, iNtuitive, Thinker, Perceiver). An inventor/innovator. Great for self-employment. Good thig cuz that's what I'm doing right now.

Speaking of which, I'm ALMOST done my big contract. I'm counting the days. 12 business days to be exact. Then I go into true consulting/contractor mode.

I'm looking at a very part-time (10 hrs max) external contract role with my former employer. Now don't get upset or anything. It's not with that old group. In fact, this is with a group that truly appreciates what I have always brought to the table.

During my initial meeting last Friday, was brought up that they can't believe that they let a talent like me go. :) Now it's coming around to help out. They now need someone on the outside that looks like a true champion/expert to help in their forums. Basically, I will get PAID TO BLOG!!! But not this kind of rambling about whatever. It will be tips and tricks of my trade as well as caveats (what to avoid) and samples of things that I've learned over the years.

I'm quite excited about the possibility of this. It's not 100% yet. I have to submit a proposal this week but it's very promising. All of the comments I'm getting from my contact are very positive.

Well, I have to sign off now as I am off to pick up my husband from a night out with the guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat,

Interesting. I am ENFJ
yup very me...
BTW: where the heck are all your pictures???? Didn't you go on a trip?